November


November Volunteer Hours: 7
Total Volunteer Hours: 23

             This was my last month in my current sublease in Mid-City, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I had some friends visit throughout the month, and I got to explore New Orleans even further. The CV and Renal/Pulmonary units were dense with learning material, but I feel like I now have my study schedule in order and am able to prepare for exams efficiently. Thanksgiving break came as a much-needed blessing, and I enjoyed the week and its good weather.
             As our weekly tasks at KIPP became more focused on structural and manual assignments (passing out materials, hanging up flyers, organizing closets), my fellow classmates and I realized we wanted to engage with students more. This lead us to Anna’s Place, which is an after-school organization at a local church for students from the Seventh Ward/Treme neighborhoods. The organization supports providing students with cultural and academic engagement and a healthy lifestyle. Emma and I spent the Thursday before Thanksgiving break at this new organization, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. For the first hour or so, we helped children from elementary to middle school with their homework. I conversed with students regarding their opinions on VSCO boys, Houston, and the best Kool-Aid flavor. Afterwards, we spent some time playing UNO with a young gentleman who was wise beyond his years and made us laugh with his quick wit. The younger children were then directed towards their music lesson, which consisted of singing Christmas carols with a church member while he played the piano. Finally, the children were all gathered back into the main seated area for dinner. The chef had prepared a delicious Thanksgiving feast of mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and more. While the kids ate dessert, we talked to them about their plans for the break and what they were looking forward to. This experience at Anna’s Place was exactly what we had been looking for, and we are excited to return after the break!
            To continue our weekly volunteering at KIPP and add on Anna’s Place, I realize time management will have to be key in the coming months. As I start studying for the MCAT in addition to schoolwork, it’ll be important to stay on schedule throughout the week. I’m also moving into a new house Uptown, which I’m excited about. Can’t wait to see what this last month holds before the end of the semester. Ciao for now!


Flyers promoting voter turnout for KIPP students to take home 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February

March

April