January


            After a much-needed winter break and a quick visit home to Texas, we are back in session! I can’t believe a whole semester has already flown by, and that there are only 3 months left in this program. Registering for graduation felt like déjà vu, since I only did that a year ago for undergrad. The Endocrine/Reproductive module we just had was an intriguing one, and I feel like I have a better understanding of hormones and their essential role in multiple areas. These next two modules, Neurology and Psychopharmacology, highly interest me as a Psychology major and I am very excited to learn the material in both. In addition to classwork, we have presentations in Neuropharmacology, Endocrine Pharmacology, and Environmental Signaling, which are definitely adding to the workload. I am also acutely aware of the approaching NBME in March, and hope to start reviewing for it in February. 
            This month, I continued volunteering with classmates at KIPP, and also became a regular volunteer at Anna’s Place. Our tasks at KIPP were similar to last semester, such as passing out supplies to all the classrooms and organizing the school store. Orientation for volunteers at Anna’s Place took place at Loyola University, where I had never been. The campus was beautiful, and had a very welcoming feel to it, probably due to its small size. Our shift at Anna’s Place is on Thursday evenings, during which we help students with homework, play games, and help serve dinner. Seeing some familiar faces from last semester was nice, and I find myself really enjoying spending time with these intelligent kids who have a great sense of humor! Hopefully we can also help the organization on their field trips around New Orleans in coming months.
            Lastly, the start of the 2020 came with the urge to start exercising regularly. I joined ClassPass for a month, and had the opportunity to attend yoga, barre, and boxing classes at studios around the city for free. After two boxing classes, I am hooked. I might even purchase my own gloves to continue boxing in the coming months. On a final note, I moved houses twice in the last month and a half. While it was a very trying and difficult process (tears were shed), I learned a lot about how much I can depend on myself in stressful situations, and how to be assertive. Currently, we have an opossum infestation in our attic but I’ve learned to just take life in New Orleans day by day and remember that I’ll look back on these times with a chuckle and be grateful for the life lessons. 
January Volunteer Hours: 8.5 
Spring Volunteer Hours: 8.5
Total Volunteer Hours: 31.5
Boxing with Sharelle and Emma!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March

April

February