March


March was a month like no other. COVID-19 has consumed our lives, and its arrival in the U.S. has left the country in a dire situation. Almost 2 weeks into this month, Tulane University moved classes online and we began preparing for self-quarantining. Now that we barely leave the house to avoid spread of the virus, time has slowed down and the hours stretch out. As March crept by, schools, non-essential businesses, and restaurants all closed and I had to choose between staying in New Orleans and returning home to Houston to be with my family. Orleans Parish is said to have one of the fastest rates of infection and death in the country due to Mardi Gras. It is quite shocking that we had participated in Mardi Gras festivities only a month ago, only to look back and realize that it was probably the reason for this massive spread of coronavirus. Because my MCAT is scheduled in New Orleans in April, I decided to stay here in hopes that things would be better by then. Unfortunately, it has been predicted that things will only get worse for some time.
We were able to volunteer at Anna’s Place twice before they closed; it was hard to say goodbye on our last day, and I already miss seeing the students weekly. Volunteering at Anna’s Place and getting to know the students over these last couple months was an amazing experience; they all had wild stories to share and great senses of humor. If I am ever living in this city in the future, I would definitely volunteer there once everything has reopened and is safe again.
I plan to stay in New Orleans until this program ends, and then move back to Houston in May. Until then, we plan to stay inside and try to occupy time to the best of our abilities. Although I miss being at school and going about classes with friends in person, I am grateful to be able to continue this program, albeit from home. I also made sure to sign up to volunteer with the city (remotely) in any way they need, and hope to offer as much help as I can. It is the most we can do in these unpredictable and trying times!

March Volunteer Hours: 3
Spring Volunteer Hours: 19
Total Volunteer Hours: 42

Birthday brunch with and Sharelle and Emma (one of our last outings)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April

February